Sunday, November 25, 2007


Thanksgiving has come and gone!

We had a great Thanksgiving with the family (both my side and my wife's side). I started the day with a nice 5 1/2 miler w/ 3 other buddies. I was hurting after mile 1 (it must have been the pizza and wine I had the night before - over at the in-laws). Its very humbling running with these guys (who have all had at least 1 marathon under their belts) but I know if I keep doing these with them, I'll get pushed. I remember just over a month ago I ran 5 miles on my own in preparation of eating out and eating cake for my daughter's birthday party. I did that in just under 50 minutes so that made it just about 10 minute milers. This last Thursday I ran 5.55 miles in 47 minutes. Thanks to Dave, Ty and Daniel for pushing me.

So back to Thanksgiving; we got to my sister's house around noon and just relaxed until dinner time. We were the early birds in the family so I thought I'd help them out a little. I was also in charge of the "Green Bean casserole"....one of my Thanksgiving favs. I used a reduced fat cream of mushroom soup to keep it somewhat healthy (still had onion straws in it...so I don't know how much healthier it was). You can see pics of Thanksgiving here ~~> http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisdurano/sets/72157603271788103/ . Anyway, long story short, I ate everything I wanted and just tried to watch my portions and refused 2nds. Dinner was pretty early too so I had plenty of time to digest it all. We were planning on going to the in-laws because my wife's family was in town as well. We got out a lot later so she dropped me and my son home and went there after with our daughter. It was nice having that time with just my son to play for 1/2 an hour and put him to bed.

The next day was Black Friday and I didn't want any part of that so I stayed home most of the day. My wife decided to try going with her family..."have fun" I said. I was really tired that morning because my son woke up earlier than expected (5:30am!). That night I took my wife's brothers to the Blazer game because I got some tickets from a Company we work a lot with and they were really sweet seats. It came with a parking permit and the tickets were also our meal tickets. I think I ate worse than on Thanksgiving but I wasn't too concerned. Top everything off, the Blazers won too!

I weighed myself this morning and no weight gain...woohoo! I'm still at 175 lbs and Sunday I'll resume my running. I had a great indoor soccer game Saturday and I got some good exercise in there. I think sprinting really helps my endurance. Sunday should be a real challenge. We're starting at The Old Spaghetti factory near the Portland Waterfront and it's a straight 4 mile uphill run up Terwilliger and then a 4 mile sprint back down. This will really test me but its going to feel real good when we're done. Great way to start another week of health!

2 comments:

Tod said...

Dude, I did the Turkey Trot on Thanlsgiving morning -- a PCV-organized run of a measley 3 miles around the botanical gardens in Santo Domingo. I nearly died, I´m so out of shape. Keep up the good work!

Tod said...

Dude, I did the Turkey Trot on Thanlsgiving morning -- a PCV-organized run of a measley 3 miles around the botanical gardens in Santo Domingo. I nearly died, I´m so out of shape. Keep up the good work!